The Union Ministry of Health has released the National Family Health Survey 2019-2021. This survey revealed some surprising data from family groups that we as a society had never explored.
Despite the government of India’s efforts to empower women, the majority of Indian women still find it difficult to stand on their own. In our country, 44 percent of women are still forbidden to go out alone, and just 32 percent of married women work.
According to the newly published National Family Health Survey http://rchiips.org/nfhs/NFHS-5Reports/NFHS-5_INDIA_REPORT.pdf.
- 82 % of women in our country claims that they can refuse to have sex with their husbands if they don’t wish.
- Goa has the greatest percentage (92%)
- Arunachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, has the lowest (65%).
This health survey was done in two phases: Phase I covered 17 states and 5 UTs from June 17 to January 30, 2020, and Phase II covered 11 states and 3 UTs from January 2 to April 30, 2021.
Men were asked some additional questions during the poll to know their gender views. These were about a woman who refused to have sex with her husband when he requested it. Men were asked if they believe they have the right to: get upset and punish her; refuse to provide her money or other financial support; use force and have sex with her even if she doesn’t want to; and go have sex with another woman.
Majority of the men have respected their women’s decision.
- Just 6% of males aged 15-49 think that men have the right to engage in all four of these behaviours if their wives refuse them sex,
- while 72% disagree with any of the four above mentioned behaviours.
- The percentage of men who disagree with any of the four behaviours is less than 50% only in 4 states. They are Punjab 21% , Chandigarh 28%, Karnataka 45% and Ladakh 46%